Effective data protection is like purchasing a great insurance policy. You know you need the protection from data loss, but it may not be the first priority on your mind – until it is. That is to say when issues arise you really need it to keep your business running without disruption.
Data protection has become complex. With multiple silos of data across today’s digital enterprise and new cloud-based workloads and hybrid environments, data protection can be radically complicated. Legacy data protection solutions haven’t kept up with the business needs. This means an increased data protection management burden, fragmented data and an increased risk of data breaches.
What are the elements of a truly modern approach to data protection? Consider these five criteria when selecting the best data protection solution for your modern workloads.
- Simple. Even if your experience has been that data protection is complex, it doesn’t have to be. Legacy data protection solutions are typically workload specific, this makes protecting the new modern digital enterprise complicated with multiple silos of data that can’t be managed in a single solution. Modern data protection will keep data safe, no matter where it’s living or what application is driving it – all from a common management console to make management of policies and controls simple, breaking the silo barrier and ensure your data is not just stored, but useful for other processes including data analytics and eDiscovery.
- Resilient over Distance. Today’s digital business is distributed, with branch offices and remote workers spanning large distances. Data protection should be resilient regardless of where data lives. One example is the Purity ActiveDR™ continuous-replication capability for Pure Storage® FlashArray™. It delivers continuous replication and seamless protection for application data across almost any distance, while minimizing both recovery point and recovery time objectives (RPO and RTO).
- Comprehensive. Modern data protection shouldn’t expose any protection gaps. For the most comprehensive protection select a solution that will offer a fully symmetric active-active bidirectional replication solution for synchronous replication across Ethernet or Fibre Channel networks. This will ensure a next to zero RPO and automatic transparent failover for a RTO of near zero as well.
- Expansive to Cloud. Modern workloads are increasingly in the cloud, or multiple clouds. This requires data backup to support cloud data with quick restores, for a low RTO and RPO. Select a modern data protection solution with built-in cloud-based data protection for off-premises flexibility, longer-term retention and lower costs. This will ensure that your modern data protection solution is future proof, no matter where your data resides today or in the future.
- Support for Multiple Protocols. Speaking of future proof, you should also look to select a modern data protection solution to support multiple protocols to avoid lock in and fork-lift upgrades later. Look for data protection solutions that offer support for NFS, object and SMB protocols to ensure the best options now and in the future.
Data protection is no longer a complex siloed technology. Modern approaches will help your enterprise achieve the RPO and RTO you need to ensure that critical services in your operational technology stack remain accessible and available – no matter where the data lives.
If you’re ready to explore a more modern data protection solution for your on-premises, cloud and remote workloads, read more about our enterprise storage solutions here. Then contact us for a storage assessment.